A quick Q&A session
Questions and Answers from the about files
- So this is your website?
- You´re Icelandic, right?
- Living in Iceland?
- You´ve had thorarinn.com since 1999, isn´t that right?
- That´s right.
- Do you always give such short answers?
- Why is this website in this mixture of English and Icelandic?
- I´ve always liked the fact that I can read the websites of people in other countries when they are written in English. So I try to give all the basic information in English - in case somebody accidentially stumbles in. However my diary is in Icelandic, since I write a lot faster that way - and most of my friends (and all of my family) read Icelandic.
- Is there a Danish version planned?
Jeg stoler pĺ, at mine danske skolekammerater godt kan forstĺ engelsk. Og det er kompliceret nok med denne blanding af islandsk og engelsk.
- So, what´s with your name? Thorarinn, it sounds a bit elvish doesn´t it?
- You are probably thinking of the leader of the dwarfs in The Hobbit, Thorin Oakenshield. Tolkien got his name (Ţórinn) from a list of dwarf names in the Old Norse Edda Poem "Völuspá".
- Is it a dwarf´s name then?
- No, actually it is the name of Thor, the Old Norse god of thunder. (Whom Thirsday is named after.) Ţórarinn is a conjunction of Ţór (Thor) + ari (an old word meaning eagle).
- But why are you called Toro?
- Ţórarinn is a rather long name and I don´t like any of the traditional Icelandic nicknames associated with it. Tóró was a suggestion from a friend of mine in college, based on the Spanish bull. I liked it and it has stuck with me since. (It is also a lot easier to pronounce for foreigners than Ţórarinn.)
This is where the stalker feast really begins. The lowdown on me, my website and all the details that nobody cares about - but I still think are interesting.
Allra handa upplýsingar um mína persónu og ţennan vef. Sitt lítiđ af hverju, en eflaust of mikiđ fyrir suma.